Ben is 4 weeks old!
The last two weeks have gone by so fast! After my mom left, Isaac’s mom arrived. It was so nice to have a good long visit with both of the moms/grandmas. We’re starting to get a little more used to having another little person around so we were actually able to do a couple of things with Isaac’s mom, we even went on a date!
On Saturday, the first farmer’s market took place. We strapped Ben into the Ergo baby carrier, and off we went. Since this year has been so unseasonably warm, there were actually a lot more veggies than usual. We also, luckily, got a free pint of gelato from Prairie Fruits Farm (they were out of the kind I wanted and Wes gave me the sample pint that was mostly full for free!).
We also visited the Japan House and Idea Garden at the university and took a couple of family photos. Spring in Illinois is really the most beautiful time of the year. Right now the weather is so temperate and all of the flowers are in bloom. The whole seasons thing actually exists here, and Spring really makes it worth living here!
Now, on to the baby! Over the last two weeks, Ben and I have become champs at side lying nursing. This is one of my favorite parts of the day. Even though it’s the middle of the night and I’m exhausted, snuggling with my baby next to me while I’m feeding him is one of my favorite parts of being a mom. He is such a greedy little eater. He eats all. the. time! He’s also recently started taking the paci, mostly because he likes to suck for comfort and I can’t let him nurse all the time if I want to get anything done :-). He still doesn’t quite get the paci though, I think he expects it to give him milk! Other new things:
– He loves the Ergo (as do I). He likes to be all snuggled up next to me or Isaac and it’s nice to be able to hold him but have my hands free.
– The baby swing is also a hit, it put him out like a light this afternoon.
– The 5 S’s from Dr. Harvey Karp. OMG Shshing and swaddling are like the best things ever.
– Bouncing on the exercise ball with papa
– Walks and car rides–thank goodness he likes his carseat. I’ve heard horror stories about babies hating their carseats. We’d be screwed if he didn’t like it because right now that’s how we take him for walks and if I couldn’t go for my daily walk, I’d go crazy!
– The boppy. Sheesh was that a waste of money! My Brest Friend is SO much better, thank goodness Jill’s letting me borrow hers.
– The Moby. Hate it, hate it, hate it! I don’t know if I’m just too dumb to figure it out or what, but every time I put him in it, he screams bloody murder. We’re going to keep at it though.
– Chili. Isaac made some delicious chili this week, but Ben does not like it. He’s been so fussy since I ate it, sorry buddy!
Next time, I’ll talk about cloth diapering, Ben’s sleep habits, and adjusting to life with baby at work–I go back on Monday!