Two Weeks with Baby Ben

Yesterday our little man turned two weeks old! I can’t believe it Ben! It seems crazy that a little over 2 weeks ago, I was still pregnant and even crazier that these weeks have gone by so fast!

We’ve been getting to know one another: he’s quite the easy baby. I’m probably jinxing myself by saying that, but so far he’s been a charmer. We’ve had a couple of rough nights, like he’ll sleep for 45 minutes and then want to nurse. That cycle will continue all night and that’s been tough, but it’s only been a few nights like that. Usually, he’ll sleep for about three hours and then want to nurse for an hour. Luckily, we’ve both gotten used to side lying for nursing so I can rest a bit.

My mom has been here for the past week, which has been very nice! She’s been helping out around the house and has been giving the baby lots of snuggles. Isaac and I have been giving him our fair share of snuggles too. Magnum is still a little wary of him, but shows more interest than he did at first. At least he doesn’t bark his head off at him anymore like he did the first few days!

I’ll share the abbreviated version of his birth story. I had my 40 week check up on Thursday April 12th and I had been leaking fluid for the past two days. Dr. Nelson checked it and it was indeed amniotic fluid. She told me that she’d let me go until the next morning and if I hadn’t gone into labor on my own, she’d break my water. We did a non-stress test and had an ultrasound to make sure that this plan of action was OK and after discussing with Jill, who came with me to the appointment, and Isaac, we decided that this plan was good. With the plan set in motion, I decided to finish some things at Lois’ and go into the Corkscrew for a couple of hours to do some invoicing. On my way home from the doctor’s appointment, I felt a big gush, which was probably my forebag of waters breaking. Despite this, I went to work. When I got home, I called Dr. Nelson to tell her we liked the plan of coming in in the morning to have my bag of waters broken and mentioned the gush. She said I needed to come in now. I told her I was going to walk the dog first. So we walked the dog, came home and showered, Jill came over to get us packed and settled in at the hospital. Unfortunately, she was not able to stay for the birth because her husband tore his pectoral muscle and couldn’t look after their baby. But she came for a while, which was awesome!

So we got to the hospital, I thought, well this is dumb, I’m not even having any contractions. I still thought Dr. Nelson would come to break my water, but she told the nurse to wait and see what happened first. At about 7:45pm we got moved to an L&D room and then the contractions started. It started off pretty mild, but pretty quickly progressed. Hands and knees was a preferred pain management technique, first on the floor and eventually on the bed. We also used a birthing ball, the jacuzzi and the shower. Our nurse Emily was AMAZING! Though Jill was unable to be there, we were so lucky to get Emily. She and Isaac were so great together and without them, there’s no way I could have done it. At some point after midnight, Dr. Nelson came in to check me and broke what she said was probably my third bag of waters. After that, things seemed to go pretty quickly. When I was 8 1/2 cm dilated I asked for drugs, but it was too late and I think I mostly just needed to say it. At about 4:45am I started to feel the urge to push. Despite my intense aversion to being on my back to push, that was the only position that felt semi-OK. I tried hands and knees for about 2 seconds and immediately recognized that this would not work. Once Dr. Nelson came in, she put my legs in stirrups and things got REAL. I pushed for 3 hours. In the end I needed oxygen and IV fluids I was so exhausted. The pushing lasted so long, that Ben’s heart rate started to drop and I guess they were discussing the possibility of a c-section. I don’t know if I knew this or not, but I really started to bear down then and finally his head and shoulders moved past my pelvis. When he was crowning, I even felt his head! Finally at 7:46am he came out. It was the most exhilarating and terrifying moment of my life because he wasn’t breathing. They had to take him away and give him oxygen and suction him and finally I heard his first little cries. 12 hours of labor later, we had our little man in our arms. And now he’s 2 weeks old! I can’t believe it! Here are some photos from his first weeks in the world.

Mama & BenFamily photoFirst “real” bathHi thereGrammy & BenSleepy papa & babyHow cute am I!?